Friday, January 8, 2010

Back to Work Bentos


Part of my 2010 plan for improving my eating habits includes experimenting with whole grains beyond wheat. This bento, from Jan 4th 2010, includes red quinoa flavored with miso, a clementine, scrambled egg whites, and raspberries and blueberries. The stars are made from Tofutti cheese. I'm embarrassed to say, this bento never got eaten. *hides in shame* When I got to work, a plain old whole wheat bagel seemed so much more appealing. I'm not sure if it was due to the fact that I was so tired from being off the work schedule for awhile or if I was just being a bit too adventurous for the early morning hours.


Since time in the morning is at such a premium, I pack my food the night before. Most days, lunch consists of leftovers from dinner. As you can see, we'd had piles of squash. I always make a large quantity of veggies, so I was stacking as I cut in order to save room.


Lunch was roasted yellow squash, zucchini, and onions; black beans; carrots and hummus; plus some avocado. This is a pretty typical meal for my family. It's simple and tasty!

Color Code Score

Breakfast - 30pts (If I'd eaten it!)

  • Raspberries & Blueberries 10 + 5 pts
  • Clementine 10 + 5 pts

Lunch - 35pts

  • Yellow Squash and Zucchini 10pts
  • Carrots 10 + 5 pts
  • Avocado 10pts (usually this would be 10 + 5 bonus, but the amount seems to small to justify that)
  • 5pt bonus for eating from all 4 color groups.

If I'd eaten both meals, this would amount to 70pts.

No comments: